I was skeptical of this recipe when I first saw it on Nigella’s show. But I bookmarked it anyway, because though I’m okay eating raw to semi-raw eggs (gimme soft boiled eggs and kaya toast any day!), there will be people who prefer to stay away from them. Most mousse recipes I know use raw eggs – whipped egg whites and cream to give them that beautiful fluffy lightness.
Replacing eggs with marshmallow sounded kind of strange, but I’m happy to say, it works. Wonderfully.
Taking into consideration that marshmallows are mostly sugar, simply adjust the chocolate you use to suit your sweetness preference. I only had 56% chocolate around so I tested it with that, er… let’s say it’s not the best idea. So I topped it with whipped cream to balance out the sweetness and that worked out great 🙂 I’ll go with the 70% as stated in the recipe next time!
I used the microwave for this recipe because I misread the recipe and thought it needed a double boiler – putting your bowl of ingredients over a bath of warm water – and I was lazy to do that. I also misread the ingredients and missed adding the water, and had two failed attempts with the marshmallows, chocolate and butter mixture. And there I was half wishing I went with the double boiler instead, when it was just me being careless and missing out one important ingredient. Hahaha.
In the end I melted the marshmallow with water (at this point I still had no idea I was missing out on the water, just that I’ve made marshmallow fondant before and melted marshmallows and water with no issues!), and in another bowl melted the butter and chocolate. Then combined both. And it worked!
We all have ‘I feel stupid’, facepalm days. This was one of mine when I re-read the recipe after spooning the completed mousse into my glasses.
Oh, if after mixing in the whipped cream it appears to be a bit curdled, that’s okay. Just stop and spoon it into your serving cups!
Adapted from Nigella's Instant Mousse recipe
- 2 1/4 cup (120g) mini marshmallows
- 1/4 cup (50g) butter, room temperature
- 250g dark chocolate (min 70% cocoa solids), chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup (60ml) hot water
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp (284ml) double cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Put the marshmallows, butter, chocolate and water in a heavy-based saucepan. Melt the mixture over low heat, stirring every now and then. If you are using the microwave, microwave it in intervals of 10 seconds and stir it between each interval. Do this until everything has melted and you have a smooth mixture.
(If you are having issues (like me initially!), you can try melting the marshmallow and water, and chocolate and butter separately before combining them both together.)
2. Whip the cream with the vanilla extract until thick. Fold this into the chocolate mixture until smooth.
3. Pour into glasses, cups, bowls, whichever you fancy 😉 Chill for at least 1 hour - you can eat it right away but it's nicer chilled! You can put some whipped cream on top of your mousse, or garnish with nuts if you like 🙂