This post was originally posted on From Cass with Love on 4 December 2011
Do you love green tea? Then this lovely shortbread recipe might be for you! For Christmas, why not make them into Christmas Tree cookies? 🙂 This popular recipe comes from Lovescool, a blog by Kelli and Andrew whom I’ve followed years ago… sharing their love of baking (and desserts) and following their dreams and journey through from the start of Amai bakery till its bittersweet closure. When the couple finally got married and decided to close Amai, they shared with the world this wonderful wonderful recipe.
The original recipe has granulated sugar sprinkled as a finish. You can choose to do that. Or… if you just want simple shortbread cookies, you can roll it into logs, freeze, roll the log in sugar, slice and bake. The below batch has been sprinkled with icing sugar, upon request from a friend, who wanted some snow! They’re pretty either way 😉
Images updated as of 11 Dec 2013 😉
Recipe from Lovescool
- 3/4 cup (94g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1.5 tbsp powdered green tea / matcha
- 1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (142g) unsalted butter, room temperature and cut into cubes
- 1 3/4 cup (220g) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 3 Large egg yolks
- Additional granulated sugar (for coating)
1. Preheat oven to 175°C. Line your baking tray with parchment paper.
2. Mix together icing sugar and green tea together in a bowl. Add the butter and beat until smooth and light in color.
3. Add the flour and mix until combined
4. Add the egg yolks and mix just until the eggs are fully incorporated.
5. Form the dough into a disk and chill in the refrigerator until firm (about 30 minutes).
6. Once chilled, roll the dough out to ½” thickness and cut with a cookie cutter of your choice
7. Toss each cut cookie in a bowl of granulated sugar to coat.
8. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until slightly golden around the edges. Remove from oven and leave to cool.
– Be careful not to overbake them. It’ll become bitter if you do! Pull these cookies out of the oven once you see the edges turn golden brown.
– To increase the green tea flavour, I tried the following methods and both worked wonderfully (though I prefer the second method as it makes the cookie like it’s snow-covered. Pretty!)
1. Increase the matcha powder up to 2 tbsp.
2. Sprinkle the cookie with a mixture of icing sugar / snow powder and green tea powder when warm. When cool, sprinkle with icing sugar / snow powder again.